Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Portabella Pumpkin Pasta

True or False - The Duke loves pasta dishes.

True or False - The Duke loves dishes that do not involve meat

True or False - The Duke loves it when I experiment with dinner.

The answer to all of the above is...FALSE.  The Duke would prefer to not have pasta for dinner. Ever. The Duke considers a meal incomplete if meat is not involved.  Grilled meat is even better.  And The Duke gets nervous when I try new things with his food.  But because I'm growing a human inside of me, I do the shopping, and the cooking, and because I love pasta and despise meat right now, The Duke didn't have much of a say in dinner last night.  I decided to grab a few items out of the pantry and experiment.  Here are the few items. Four to be exact...

Portabella mushrooms, angel hair pasta, mushroom Alfredo sauce, and canned pumpkin.  Yes, because it's Fall, I do have to include pumpkin in everything.

Start a pot of water to boil the pasta.  While it's heating up wash and slice the Portabella mushrooms.  Melt 2 TBS of butter in a skillet, add the mushrooms and saute on medium high heat until soft. Add the Alfredo sauce to the skillet with the sauteed mushrooms over medium low heat. Add 1/2 cup canned pumpkin to the sauce and combine.  Cook until it starts to bubble, reduce heat to low. Add 1 tsp cinnamon and black pepper to taste.  Once water is boiling add salt and pasta, I used 1/2 pound.  Cook until done and drain the water. DO NOT combine the sauce and pasta, it makes it sticky and thick. No One likes sticky thick pasta. No one. 

This tasted wonderful!  The Duke even liked it.  Only thing he said he would do differently is make the Alfredo sauce from scratch.  Maybe in another life.  I hope you try this! 

Sorry there is no picture, once again, my hunger got the best of me and I couldn't get to the camera in time before I was shoveling it into my mouth!

2 comments:

  1. I was skeptical about the pumpkin, but if The Duke thought it was good, surely it must be! This will have to be a dish I make when Mike is on the road...there is no way in HELL that he would eat a "fungus" dish. I swear, my husband has the palette of a four year old...

    ReplyDelete
  2. True or False: I love the fact that you call your hubby, "The Duke" HAHA! I Think John Wayne would be proud! :0) Love the blog friend!

    ReplyDelete