Monday, June 13, 2011

The beginning of the end

OK, I have procrastinated long enough.  My daughter will be 3 next week. She must be potty trained.  Why, I don't really know. I am perfectly content with her in diapers. It's easy.  I don't have to worry about her needing to pee while we are driving.  I don't have to watch her like a hawk for signs that she is about to puddle on the floor. Yep, I could leave her in diapers forever. Do you sense a theme?  I wasn't ready for the big girl bed, now I'm not ready for the potty training. Perhaps I don't want my little girl to grow up. I mean, what's next, driving? Alright, rewind.  So this week the goal was set. Princess underwear was purchased.  The time is here.

We started yesterday afternoon.  I got lots of goodies from the Dollar Tree for a Prize Bag!  If Ally goes in the potty , she gets to pick a prize! She was super excited to get a prize so I thought this may work.  Problem was she didn't want to sit on the potty chair.  This might be my fault.  I'll explain. Ally likes to come in the bathroom while I am getting ready, and she always goes straight for the toilet! Touching it, lifting the lid, wanting to flush it, etc.  My instinct has always been to scream "No touchy toilet...yucky, yucky yucky!"  Probably NOT the message to be sending a toddler who you're now trying to get to SIT on a toilet. My bad.  Must send more positive message about the porcelain throne.  Note taken.

So after explaining that it's OK to sit on the toilet and potty chair we dove in. Ally was not so keen on wearing the underwear so I let her run around naked.  I must admit the site of her little bum running around the living room makes me smile, but then accident number one.  I show her the pee, I show her the toilet. Pee, toilet.  Try to explain to her that the goal is to get the pee in the toilet.  I don't think she got it.  I tell her maybe we should put on the big girl princess underwear and that it would be a shame to pee on Cinderella.  So we put on the underwear, she wants a Snow White Pull Up on too.  She apparently has no problem peeing on Cinderella or Snow White because accident number 2 occurs.  But at least the Pull Up soaked this one up.  We try the no underwear approach again.  She starts doing her poopy face and runs to sit on the potty chair.  She stands up and points in the hole..."poopy mommy, poopy!"  YES!  Celebration time!  We flush the poop, wave bye bye then she gets to pick a prize!  5 minutes later, she wants another prize so I explain she has to use the potty.  I swear the child willed herself to pee because not 2 minutes later I hear her saying "pee mommy, pee!"  Awesome!  I'm thinking, this is great.  Fastest training EVER.  This is going to be a breeze! 

Then comes bedtime.  Daddy and I try to explain that she is going to wear a Pull Up to bed, but if she has to go to the bathroom, she can tell us and she can get up to go.  She says "No, me want a prize, me poop on potty chair."  Never thought of what to do to get the child OFF the chair.  Hmm...  Eventually we get her up and Pull Up on and off to bed.  I'm feeling pretty good about this so far.

Day 2 is in progress...the good feeling is fading.  3 accidents on the hardwood (thank God) floor and 2 poops in the toilet.  I think we will call her poop trained.

No comments:

Post a Comment